Old 26-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Sarah Dale

Default supporting new fruit trees

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:40:36 +0000, DaveDay34 wrote:

This weekend I bought and planted four short fruit trees. The trunks are at
the moment about 75 cms long before branching starts. Should'nt the stakes
just be a bit longer than the trunk? (I am worried about damaging the
branches as they chafe against the stake.)
The tree-seller (reputable) tried to sell me 2 meter stakes but I didn't
feel that was right.
What's the best thing to do?
Robert

It's not clear from what you've said exactly how large/tall the trees are, but
I'll try to give you some general advice that will suit most, if not all
circumstances/situations.

Robert,

Further to Dave's excellent general advice, I'd just like to add if you
have bought fruit trees on dwarfing or very dwarfing root stock, they will
need a traditional vertical stake. The height of this stake should be the
height of the main stem, to or just a smidge below / above the place where
all the branches start coming out. If the branches are widely spaced around
the trunk, you may be able to get a longer stake in.

Don't forget you need to bury approx 1 - 2 ft / 1/3rd of its general
length of the stake so as to give it good support so it can support the
tree!

BTW, it is nearly always easiest to dig the hole, knock the stake in, and
*then* plant the tree - it saves breaking roots and disturbing the tree
later.

Don't forget to water your trees in well, and keep doing so while they
establish (though don't let them freeze!) - and water generously next
spring and summer.

HTH, Sarah
(NB - I planted new fruit trees last autumn)