Old 01-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Maryc Maryc is offline
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeating Rifle
This morning, I spent a fair amount of time clearing out excess growth of
tomatoes in my little greenhouse. When I washed my hands, they turned very
yellow. That had happened before but I did not know what the cause was. I
thought that I had contacted nitrates from my nutrient solution and that it
had somehow caused the yellow color the same way that exposure to nitrate
does. I presumed that the alkaline soap was the proximate cause for turning
a leuco compound yellow.

This time, after washing away the color, I went back out and handled the
tomato plants some more. Hand washing brought out the yellow color again.

Is this typical of tomatoes? What is the substance involved?

Bill

The tomato plants are trying to protect themselves by the smell and the color on your hands. You will have the yellow substance every time you handle the plants because it does come from the stems and leaves. If you are sensitive you can feel the stuff getting on you.