Old 01-08-2005, 01:32 PM
Anthony A.

Default Tomatoes look greatm but fruit-set is slowing down........

So here on HOT Long island, my big beef and other tomatoes seem to be
doing well - big (7 foot+) plants with lots of fruit that's just
begining to show the blush of ripening. But the fruit set of these
plants has slowed down.
I have lots of flowers near the tops of the plants, and I give them a
tap to aid pollination, but now, if I have a cluster of 5 flowers, it
typically results in only 1 or 2 fruits - the other flowers die without
producing fruit.
In past months 5 flowers would mean 4 or 5 fruit.
Any tips for increasing my production? Fertilizer? More water? or is
this just a side effect of the plants having so much fruit to support
already?
Thanks in advance for any info!