Old 01-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Timothy

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 03:35:37 +0000, John Crichton wrote:

Personally, I'd forget about herbicide. An appropriately sized chain saw
is what you want. Either hire it done or do it yourself if you have the
skill. Once you cut the tree down get the stump ground about a foot or so
below grade.

After all, if you kill it with herbicide you are still going to have to
have the tree cut down (a dead tree is a hazard and most homeowners
policies will not pay for damage done by a dead tree left standing). Why
not just cut to the chase and do it all in one fell swoop. If there are
surface (or near surface) roots that are bursting the concrete get
yourself an axe and shovel and cut the roots and pull them out as best as
you can (or hire someone to do same).

It's pretty rare to have a tree come back after you grind the stump down.
If it does, you can always drill holes and and do the herbicide thing as
the other poster suggested. I've even drilled holes and poured diesel
fuel or kerosene on a stuborn stump. Never had one come back from that
treatment.

Good day John. I am by no means suggesting that Rita leave a dead tree
standing in her mother's yard. The whole purpose of the herbicide is to
kill off the tree before hand, then cut. There are many trees (willow,
cherry,alder...) that will flush with regrowth when cut. It could be
easier for Rita to kill the tree off before it's cut rather than to deal
with regrowth after the fact (maybe Rita lives some distance away..?).

Btw, 4oz crossbow herbicide, 8oz diesel and 1 gallon water mixed will
almost anything. The forest service uses this to kill off weed trees or
brush clearing.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com