Old 01-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Hal

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:36:04 +0100, "Will James"
wrote:

Hi
I am thinking of getting one of the standard three way weather proof
switchs to control my lights/pump/water feature etc. However, on the
instructions for my Hozelock pump it states a residual current device (RCD)
must be used. I can't see any mention of a RCD being included on any of
these switches, so do I need a separate RCD and if so where would I attach
it, the external cable is currently linked to a fused switch inside the
house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual_current_device

Yes! Place the RCD at the pond end of the external cable and connect
everything to it. The circuit breaker inside the house won't protect
you against an energy leak, like a worn pump motor that can develop an
electrical energy leak, the RCD will.

Regards,

Hal