Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Gordon Saunders

Default [IBC] Ok .. here I go as a Newbie

Fair Greetings to all on the list .....

Gordon Saunders ... Greensboro, NC

I have just recently taken an interest in this new adventure after a trip to the Arboretum in Asheville, NC. Was blown away with the sheer beauty of Bonsai !!!
Long story short .. have purchased several books, picked up a few from the local library, read many articles on the web pages, and read the majority of e-mails on this list by persons of knowledge .... Jim Lewis, stands out as a major knowledge source among many others ... all of which I am glad they choose to share their experience and thoughts .....

Visited a supplier / dealer about 90 miles from home and picked up a few "starter" tools and wire ... now ... the story begins.

Today, I purchased a few "victims" to start my "path of a thousand trees" of learning .... your thoughts and suggestions please. Digital photos can be sent if you desire to see what I am starting with .....

1. 3 pots ( 1 gallon) of Hollywood Juniper ... Juniper C Torulosa @ $4.97 ea.
2. 1 pot ( 1 gallon) of Parsons Juniper ... @ $3.97 (Just looked interesting)
3. 1 pot ( 1 gallon) of Colorado Spruce ... Picea Pungens @ $5.97

All purchased from Lowes Home Improvement Center

Also, noticed there a bag of Tree and Shrub planting mix ???? By Bayer company.
Is this suitable to use "after" I work through the initial stages of shaping and wiring ?
Or, should I buy a commercial Bonsai soil mix OR try my hand at a homebrew from the recipes from the books I have read over ?

Am I correct in waiting a bit ... before I try to cut back the roots system and put into a "real" Bonsai planter ... I have found out that there is a Bonsai Planter Potter around 20 miles from my home .....

Thank you for your time, thoughts, suggestions, tips and most of all " let's help this guy .. BEFORE he gets into trouble" help.

Best regards,

Gordon Saunders
Greensboro, NC

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++