Old 01-08-2005, 10:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"SeaShel" wrote in message
Hi - I recently purchased a pothos plant, and noticed a strong chemical
odor on the leaves, maybe it is a pesticide? I have one other pothos in
the house and some other assorted plants. Should I wash it off? If so,
how? The bathtub? Soap? I need to re-pot it soon so a washing would work
out to do at that time. The plant very healthy and I wiped the leaves
with a damp paper towel but the smell is still strong.

Thanks for answering!

That's exactly what you're smelling - pesticides. Cover the soil with some
paper towel or cheesecloth (which you don't mind discarding). This will keep
the soil from splattering all over the leaves. Then, put it out in the rain.
Or, use the shower, or kitchen sink sprayer. Rain is preferable because who
knows what's in your water (minerals, water softener salt) which will leave
a residue on the leaves.

Many of the cut flowers you get from florists and supermarkets are dosed
pretty heavily, too.