Old 02-08-2005, 05:30 AM
MartyWeiser

Gordon,

You already got some good info on taking your time and removing the upper
layer of soil to check out the roots. Your junipers sound good (I like the
J. c. torulosa), but the P. pungens are generally a little coarse for all
but larger bonsai. However, don't let that discourage you.

The potting mix may be suitable. Most folks like a mix of organic (shredded
bark, etc) and inorganic (sand, rock, fired clay, etc.) with most of the
particles in the 3 - 6 mm range (1/8 - 1/4 inch). Mixes that are too fine
or have too much organic (most planting mixes) tend to lead to root rot and
similar issues. One the other hand there is no need to buy a specialty
bonsai mix if you can find both components and make your own - I buy
shredded bark and crushed lava and sieve out both the coarse and fine
particles. Many people buy turface instead of the lave since it is more
readily available.

Finally, I would not repot until next spring. Fall repotting can be done on
many species if you can let them get cold, but keep the roots from freezing.
Probably possible in Greensboro, but perhaps more of a challenge than you
want in your first year. In the pots or after a year of root growth they
came in the trees you have listed should over winter just fine with minimal
protection - on the ground, mulched, and not in the sunniest location you
have.

Marty
Spokane, WA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++