Old 01-08-2005, 10:42 PM
Derek Broughton

Andy wrote:

David Sim wrote:

Will a frame of sleepers secured with heavy duty brackets be strong
enough to hold the additional 20" of water?

The sleepers own weight will be more than enough.

I wouldn't think so, but...

The water's weight goes down, not out.

What makes you think that? It's not true. The lateral force is exactly how
these new self-supporting above-ground swimming pools get their stability.
However, the greatest lateral force is at the bottom of that above-ground
section, so maybe it'll work.

My own (8x6x3) pond is 50% above ground and the
frame was made from lengths of 2x2" wood with uprights at 2ft intervals.
I then tacked some thick wire mesh over the inside to add support in
the spaces

David's idea is definitely more sound than yours, so I guess it'll work :-)
--
derek