Old 02-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Rodney Pont

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:49:32 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

Will James wrote:

I am thinking of getting one of the standard three way weather proof
switchs to control my lights/pump/water feature etc. However, on the
instructions for my Hozelock pump it states a residual current device
(RCD) must be used. I can't see any mention of a RCD being included on any
of these switches, so do I need a separate RCD and if so where would I
attach it, the external cable is currently linked to a fused switch inside
the house.

The way I did it when wiring up my pond was to place a GFI receptacle on the
(inside) wall of the house where the circuit to the pond left the house.
The electrical inspector was happy with that.

That's the correct way, the complete outside circuit should/must be
protected so putting the RCD at the pond isn't any good.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont