Old 02-08-2005, 10:27 AM
dps

My garlic does not produce seed, but does produce small bulbils on the
top of the seed stalk. I assume that's what you're talking about. I only
grow Russian Red and Porcelain, so there may be other varieties that
produce seed or very small bulbils that look like seed.

I tried planting them one year and got some garlic from them, but it was
very small and not really worth the effort.

I always break off the seed stalks as soon as I see them. It makes the
plant concentrate on the garlic head rather than expending energy on the
flower. This makes larger heads, which is what I want from my garlic. If
you get the stalk before it gets too large, you can chop it up and use
it in cooking for a light garlic flavor.

If you have a lot of the bulbils, you might plant them in a clump and
use the resulting greens in the spring for an early garlic garnish.

Doug Kanter wrote:
My garlic plants are doing what ornamental alliums usually do: Producing
tons of seeds. I don't see much on the web about using these seeds. One site
even says the plants rarely make seed. Has anyone tried this? I'm open to
experimentation, but I'm wondering what the time frame is like from sowing
to maturity, compared with the usual method of planting cloves.