Old 02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article ,

Earths_Child
writes

[...]
I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to

add
to that with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not
light fragrances.

Early in the season try wallflowers, follow up with Nicotiana (I'd

be
inclined to avoid the coloured varieties), [...other sound advice

snipped...]

Old-fashioned pinks are a favourite of mine: very easy to grow, and a
cinch to propagate. At the nursery, choose the ones with the best
scent. For properly scented roses, the main man is David Austin. Take
care when buying sweet pea seed: buy only the ones which make the
strongest claim for their scent, as simply "sweetly scented" or
something like that is often a big exaggeration. My mother keeps
mentioning mignonette; but, as with sweet peas, the breeders have
ignored scent (maybe we should cut their noses off, since they
obviously don't need them) -- go for the plain old kind, which look
dull, but are said to have the best scent.

A good place for lavender is right on the edge of a path or by a
sunny door, so you brush the plants as you pass. Tall varieties work
better this way than the dwarf types. Rosemary's good for brushing
through, as well. If you don't mind it getting a bit scruffy after a
couple of years, shepherd's thyme is nice between paving slabs, where
you'll step on it; it will often survive in the lawn, too. The
Buckingham Palace lawns are a mixture of grass and camomile:
personally, I've had difficulty in keeping camomile going in grass,
but plenty of other people manage it OK. One lawn I had smelt
delicious when mowed: I never found out what it came from, but there
are a few aromatic grasses.

--
Mike.