Old 02-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Sue

"Earths_Child" wrote
snip
I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to add to
that with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not light
fragrances.

Hyacinths, lilies, philadelphus, heliotrope (cherry pie mmm), dianthus. One
house I often walk past used to have a front border with an edging of small
pinks from which the scent used to waft right across to the other side of
the road on a sunny day.

Sarcococca makes a smallish evergreen shrub that is rather unassuming until
in winter when the tiny flowers put out a very welcome, carrying scent. It
will grow in even dryish shade too.

It might be a good idea to have a regular 'nose' around garden-centres,
show gardens or friends' gardens to see what's in flower and takes your
fancy scentwise, because quite often what one person loves another will
dislike.