Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Sally Holmes

Earths_Child wrote:
I'm new to gardening,

[...]
I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to add
to that with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not light
fragrances.

Jasmine officinale is a vigourous climber with clusters of white star-shaped
flowers, very heavily scented. If your garden is sheltered enough you could
also try Trachilospermum jasminoides, Star or Confederate Jasmine, which is
evergreen. It grows well against a south-facing wall in Dewsbury, West
Yorkshire. In California it's grown as ground cover, a bit like we'd grow
periwinkle. I must try that here.

Lilies - B&Q sell them in pots, in bud. You can re-pot them into planters
for the patio. Keep them fed and watered and they'll be back, bigger and
better, next year. Make sure you get the scented ones; the yellow and orange
varieties aren't scented. Lilium regale has a beautiful cool scent but
Stargazer is strong and spicey.

It's too late this year, but next year you could grow or buy annuals such as
night scented stock (Matthiola longipetala), nicotiana and petunias. I find
purple petunias to be the most highly scented.

Alyssum has a honey fragrance. It's not strong, so plant it close to where
you can sit on warm evenings.

Kay suggested philadelphus (mock orange) but the p. aureus in my garden
smells of bubble gum - not nice. The young leaves are a beautiful colour,
though, especially with some alliums flowing in front of them.

On paths, where you'll brush past them, rosemary and lavender. Neither smell
strong (in my garden) until you brush against them. Also to be brushed past
is lemon balm, with a refreshing lemon scent, but this is invasive like mint
so plant it somewhere where it can be kept in check.

For winter, Daphne mezereum is nice close to a door, where you'll pass it
and appreciate its scent.

HTH

--
Sally Holmes