Old 28-11-2002, 01:51 AM
Hussein M.

Default Oxalis tuberosa anyone?

Hi,

I had a "please sign for" delivery today. Had lots recently.
Pointzfield herb nursery but I was surprised to find it was a sizeable
packet as I had only ordered seeds.

Or so I thought. On opening the package I unwrapped some newpaper and
some damp fibrous stuff to reveal six very coulourful tubers of Oxalis
tuberosa.

Somewhat concerned as to how I should proceed (stick'em in the ground
now?), I have done a little research and that has been quite
fascinating.

Has anyone considered devoting some space to this crop of the Andes
and eminently suited to our temperate clime instead of potatoes?

Apparently they don''t suffer from any of the pests that afflict
potatoes and the yield (per whatever) is often higher than that of the
potato. The only drawback is that the tubers develop very suddenly
late in the season so an early frost can set them back. If the frosts
are delayed however there is a bumper harvest. I suspect there would
have been a bumper harvest this year and the way our poor climate is
drifting I supose quite a few years from here on in will be the same.

Amazing things, so pretty to look at with their radishy pink hues -
rather carrot shaped but shiny and nobbly and one doesn't need telling
that they don't need peeling. Can cook like a potato but best roasted
with a nutty flavour. Left in the sun to ripen a bit they can be eaten
raw like a fruit. I must say it was very tempting to sliver one up
and taste it, but no - every one is in cool storage until Spring.

Respect

Hussein
PS Most of the sites turned up in the searches I made were uni and new
crops and botanical and very curious and serious. Huh - now that Other
Oxalis (Shamrock / Wood Sorrel) in the garden, pretty thought it is
but becoming a nuisance to any plants of small stature is - going - to
- have - to - run - even - faster - for - it's - survival. Huh!