Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Mike Lyle

Bob Smith (UK) wrote:
"John" wrote in message

[...]
Isn't poison a chemical

So is water.

Actually, this is more interesting than it may seem. In strict
English usage, it isn't: the meaning of the word depends on the
context in which it is used, and water isn't here considered as the
product of chemistry. In another context, of course, water _is_
considered from a chemical point of view; but this isn't that
context.

In gardening, an almost infinite variety of solutions is accurately
referred to as "water": not many laboratories would be happy with
such vernacular imprecision!

I haven't tried, but if you doubt me you could Ggl "horticultural
chemicals" and see how many of the suppliers you find would accept an
order for a tonne of water. I'll buy the beer if you find one. (I
exclude de-ionised water and the like!)

--
Mike.