Old 02-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Phil L

Tumbleweed wrote:
:: "John" wrote in message
:: ...
::: On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:11:55 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
::: wrote:
:::
::::
:::: "Pam Moore" wrote in message
:::: ...
::::: How would YOU deal with ants which have nested in a pot containing a
::::: tree?
::::: My solution in the past was to stand the pot in a large bucket of
::::: water, so the pot was completely submerged, and drive out the ants,
::::: and pour the water off when they came to the surface.
::::: A friend has ants in a huge pot containing a fast growing willow!
::::: She has nothing big enough to submerge the pot in, and anyway the pot
::::: is too heavy to lift.
::::: She does not like using chemicals.
::::: Any advice for my friend please? Nothing strenuous as she has ME.
:::::
::::: My only other solution in the past was to unpot the tree, wash the
::::: roots clean, and repot in fresh soil, but she would need help to do
::::: that and it's a bit drastic this time of year.
::::: TIA
:::::
::::: Pam in Bristol
::::
:::: What about one of those ant baits where they carry the poison
:::
::: Isn't poison a chemical you prat?
::
:: You have such a persuasive way with words, you silver tounged devil.
::
:: I think you'll find, that except for the plasma forming the sun,
:: everything in the solar system is a chemical. The lady wishes to kill
:: the ants. Unless she indiscriminately sprays the neighbourhood with
:: insecticide, how she does it, to a non food plant, will make no
:: difference at all. If she crushes them with her fingers, they are also
:: made of chemicals.
::
::: To the original poster use clove oil, that'll drive the buggers away
::: and keep them out, also garlic sometimes.
::
:: I think you'll find that clove oil is composed of many many chemicals. So
:: thats worse than the single chemical I suggested.......you prat :-)
::
:: And when you use the euphemism 'drive them away' do you think they will
:: be packing their teeny tiny suitcases and moving? I doubt it somehow.
:: FWIW garlic is also composed of chemicals as well, but gets rid of
:: vampires, not ants*. I suppose you were too busy firebombing Huntingdon
:: Research to pay attention in class or watch Buffy?
::
:::
::: No sense killing things just because you don't like them or there'd be
::: a few missing on this group for sure.
:::
::
:: LOL. So you *do* think the ants will be packing their teeny tiny
:: suitcases and moving? AH, bless.

Maybe they can all get jobs advertising the Post Office on TV?
:-p

I was going to suggest writing on one of those plant labels that sticks into
the soil, 'No Ants' and see how it goes.

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.