Old 02-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Mike Lyle

Jupiter wrote:
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:28:11 GMT, FF

wrote:
[...]
bags and the remains of cellulose windows in shredded envelopes

have
made my garden look a mess.
Granted, adding shredded window envelopes was probably a step too
far, but can someone enlighten me about the tea bags. Leave them

in
longer? Take the leaves out of the bag?

thanks

Liz

I've been putting teabags in compost for about 30 years. I usually
just rip the bags open before putting them in. The bags themselves

do
tend to retain a skeletal structure but I don't mind that as I

usually
dig the compost in. I shouldn't think envelope windows would ever

rot
down though. I also put eggshells in - crush them first.

Right. The key here is that the windows in envelopes aren't
cellulose: I don't know exactly, but they're probably something in
the poly-ethylene family, not the sugar family. They won't do any
harm underground, and ultra-violet will break them up soon enough on
the surface.

--
Mike.