Old 03-08-2005, 04:38 AM
zxcvbob

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

We bought a house that unfortunately has a field bindweed infestation
in the front lawn. I have been pulling and using round-up but it is my
understanding that it will be a lengthy and time consuming battle to
eradicate the bindweed and save the lawn. We are prepared to start
from scratch and totally remove the lawn if that will get rid of the
bindweed. My questions is, what is the process/checmicals I need to
use to eradicate the bindweed if saving the lawn is no issue?

My previous home had the same infestation in part of the yard. We called the
NY State DEC (dep't of environmental conservation), and the Cornell
Cooperative Extension, who referred us to a botanist at Cornell University.
Both basically said the same thing, and keep in mind this was about 15 years
ago:

You can use an herbicide that you're really better off not using, if you
want to be able to touch the lawn or the next 12-18 months. You need to
permit to obtain it in NY State. If you have children and sometimes let them
play outdoors, forget this idea. There may be newer chemicals which, in
theory, are safer, but of course, it's only theoretical.

or:

Cover the area with landscape fabric for 2 years. You'll want wide rolls so
there are less gaps for weeds to sneak through. Plan to remove the fabric
only at the PERFECT time for starting new grass seed in your area, or use
sod. Bindweed thrives in heat, so if you don't give the new seed every
advantage, you'll lose the battle almost immediately.

or:

Live with it. This is what we ended up doing. The chemical approach was not
an option, and covering the whole lawn seemed ridiculous. It worked out fine
in the end. During the heat of summer, when grass is suffering (unless you
water constantly), the bindweed provided a nice soft low-growing ground
cover for the dozen or so kids who always came over to romp in the yard.
During cool weather, the grass grew higher than the bindweed, making the
weed almost unnoticeable.

If you insist on a pure lawn, option 3 will not make you happy. Keep in mind
that a pure lawn is a goal that's not of your choosing.

I don't think "starting from scratch" will work because the ground is
already full of bindweed roots and seeds. You'll never get rid of it
all in order to start over. Round-up is probably not a good chemical to
use because it kills the grass too.

2,4-d is supposed to be effective against bindweed; if you spot treat
with 2,4-d will it travel from one weed to another through the
interconnected root system? Frequent mowing is probably the best
treatment. It will keep the bindweed weak where the grass should be
able to outcompete it. FWIW there's an inconclusive statistical link
between 2,4-d and certain forms of cancer, such as lymphoma.

I think Crossbow™ is the herbicide of choice to control bindweed in
corn, but I wouldn't want it in my lawn.

This looks interesting:
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/index.html#http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA/PLANTS/bindweedmite.html

Best regards,
Bob