Old 03-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Covering my lawn with fabric would just spread the bindweed to my
neighbor and then when I uncover the lawn, it will return. The only
chemical solution is one that leaves my lawn untouchable for 12-18
months?

As of 15 years ago, yes, the only chemical solution was one which was
hideous. I haven't checked since then. If you do, I would strongly suggest
that you consult with people who don't make their living selling lawn
chemicals. At best, you may end up wasting your money on stuff that doesn't
kill the weed, but is still unsafe. The worst case scenario could involve
sick children, due to a cause which will seem absurd in retrospect.

Two things you should know about lawn chemicals:

1) Although someone in this group will occasionally point to an isolated
case or two, lawn chemicals are not tested on humans. Therefore, any claim
of safety is suspicious at best. The manufacturers themselves have stated
repeatedly over the past 30-40 years that the results of animal testing
cannot be reliably used to predict the effects on humans, especially kids.
Draw your own conclusions.

2) In the early 1970s, the chemical industry purchased legislation which
allowed them to declare a long list of "inert" ingredients exempt from
testing. Although they used the term "trade secrets" to describe some of
these ingredients, the list included such things as toluene, which is known
to be harmful to humans. When you look at a container and see "inert
ingredients", you should question what that means, and why those ingredients
are often not described in any detail.

Even with my extreme attitude, I'll agree that occasional spot treatment of
weeds, done by a responsible individual, is probably safe. But, your
situation is bigger than that.

We decided to live with bindweed after thinking about the function of a
lawn. You want a green surface which is comfortable to walk or play on. If
possible, it should deal well with foot traffic, and require very little
maintenance. In your dreams, it should laugh at drought. It should remain
thick, which prevents erosion, and shades the soil, making it more habitable
for beneficial creatures like worms.

Grass handles comfort and erosion control nicely (if it's grown well). It
does a marginal job with the rest of the list. Who says the "lawn" has to be
100% grass?

Incidentally, your neighbors will tell you that you've got a nice, thick
lawn. It's up to you whether to tell them to take a closer look.