Old 03-08-2005, 07:47 AM
anita kean

In article , Phil L wrote:
FF wrote:
:: I've been putting teabags in the compost bin for a couple of years now.
::...
:: probably ok. However .... the bag part of old tea bags and the remains
:: of cellulose windows in shredded envelopes have made my garden look a
:: mess.
:: Granted, adding shredded window envelopes was probably a step too far,
:: but can someone enlighten me about the tea bags. Leave them in longer?
:: Take the leaves out of the bag?

There's no need to take the tea from the bag, the bags themselves should
compost easily enough given that they are only a type of paper tissue
material.

I don't think all teabags are made from the same material.
About three years ago I purchased some Chinese oolong tea in teabags
and those teabags are still undecomposed in my compost/soil.
The others, e.g. the ones I have used since, are decomposed and gone.

Anita