Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Ethan Smith

Since we are on the subject of rooting and I am new to woody plant
propagation I'd like to ask a stupid question.

I took some cuttings of a Taxus and a Picea Pungens (for future
landscape use) 9 weeks ago. They seem to be taking root because there
is resistance when lightly tugged on and they are still the same color
/ shape and seem to be alive 9 weeks later. However my dog jumped over
my flat with the cuttings in it and knocked one Taxus out of the tray,
I thought "well that one is a goner" so I inspected it for any signs
of roots.

I didn't really see any roots per se but I did notice some white
cloudy stuff at the base of the cutting. But I'd say it looked retty
devoid of anything that I know as a root. So if there are no roots how
are they still alive, or are these roots just sooo fine that they got
destroyed when Lucy scampered by?

thanks a bunch,
-Ethan

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++