Old 03-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Oxymel of Squill

there's an EU regulation which prohibits tea bags being composted by local
authorities because they're classed as animal products.

actually behind the expected EU silliness is the suggestion that if tea bags
have been in the cup with milk then any dairy disease might be transferred
to the compost. But if you take out the bag before adding the milk there
shouldn't be a problem

"FF" wrote in message
I've been putting teabags in the compost bin for a couple of years now.
Recently I had to empty a composter as it was in the way of something
else. It hadn't been added to for a good 12 months & I thought it was
probably ok. However .... the bag part of old tea bags and the remains
of cellulose windows in shredded envelopes have made my garden look a
mess.
Granted, adding shredded window envelopes was probably a step too far,
but can someone enlighten me about the tea bags. Leave them in longer?
Take the leaves out of the bag?

thanks

Liz