Old 03-08-2005, 09:56 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

Indeed. But the point I was making was they were specifically
designed so as to survive almost indefinitely in the warm moist
environment of the "average" compost heap. Which nevertheless,
eventually produces satisfactory results, from most other types
of albeit soft material. Which if the heap was dry and cool, it
wouldn't. They were designed so as not to compost under "average"
conditions, where the heap isn't regularly turned, and never achieves
sufficient mass so as to achieve optimum temperatures at the centre.
Unlike say, your own.

You have a most bizarre idea of how to make tea!

They are designed not to break down in a few hours of being fully
saturated at temperatures from 100 Celcius down to 0. That is
nothing like the conditions of any normal heap - as we know full
well, saturated heaps do not compost well. They are NOT designed
to be resistant to bacterial and fungal attack when damp.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.