Old 03-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Mike" writes:

Who can still remember drawing water from the village well
in Oxfordshire

Well? You had a well? I can remember it being poured by hand
into a tank on an ox-cart (from a spring), delivered using the
cart, and then poured by hand into the house's tank. It then
had to be boiled before use.

That wasn't in Oxfordshire, of course :-)

Ox-cart! You had an _ox-cart_? We had it delivered in cans on the
back of donkey (and, I may say, it never caused the slightest
tummy-bug). That wasn't in Oxfordshire, either.

I used to draw water from a small foot-deep hole in the ground at the
foot of a brae. The hole was lined with stones, and the water was
usually a lovely shade of deep Cairngorm. (Coloured like Glen Grant or
Linkwood if it had been *VERY* wet.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/