Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

with the milk delivered by the milkman, measured out from his churn into a
blue and white ringed jug ;-)) which then had a muslin cloth with little
weighted beads, put over it and the jug stood on a marble slab in the cold
pantry.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be ;-)

No polio epidemics every summer.

Polio? Methinks you have the wrong disease, and in any case, most herds
were TT by the war, and a high proportion of the milk was pasteurised
anyway.

We sometimes got our milk from a churn like that in the 'forties,
especially if we wanted extra. Otherwise it came in bottles with a wide
neck, sealed with a waxed cardboard disc with a punch-in bit in the
middle.

There were ¼ pt, ½ pt, pint and quart bottles available on the
(horsedrawn) cart which served us. The round was sold to a national
company in the 'fifties or 'sixties, but continued to be horsedrawn
until the 'seventies.

Vegetables and fish were also delivered by horsedrawn cart, and bread in
a horsedrawn van. For the war and just afterwards, coal from one firm
was delivered by Foden steam lorry.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/