Old 03-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Amadeus W. M.

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 20:18:23 -0400, Amadeus W. M. wrote:

I bought my first house 1/2 year ago, and now I have to mow the lawn.
The previous owner left me probably a 50 years old gas mower which just
died. I broke the start rope trying to crank the engine. Don't know if
that can be fixed.

At any rate, I'm considering buying an electric mower. I only have 0.22
acres of lawn, including the house on it, so electric should be ok. I can
deal with the cord, but I'm also considering buying a cordless mower.

My questions a

1) How much power (watts) does a cord mower consume? I imagine more than
a light bulb, but I don't want to pay hundreds on my already high electric
bill.

2) If I buy a cordless mower, what's the lifetime of the battery? Does it
last less over the years? I want to be able to finish the entire lawn
with a single recharge, even after, say, 5 years from now.

Thanks!

Thanks all for the good advice. Last night I bought an electric B&D with a
100ft cord. It cuts the grass fine. The cord is 16/3, 13 amps, $26,
suitable for the 12 amp mower, and plenty for my lawn. However...

1) I've always thought there must be a reason why they cut your umbilical
cord when you are born. Now I know why.

2) This particular model that I have seems to be made for little people.
The handle very low, if you're 6ft or taller. Maybe they thought you'd be
sitting in a bob-sleigh when mowing the lawn. I haven't read the
instructions (which shows the ease of use though), but I pray to God the
handle is adjustable. Otherwise have wife mow the lawn.