Old 03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Henry Bubkis

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Henry Bubkis wrote:
Has anyone done this before?

I'm inheriting a large fishtank that I want to turn into a terrarium and
would like to combine some of my tropical pitcher plants as well as other
tropical plants and african violets with the orchids in a natural setting
terrarium.

Are there any problems ....

You bet. The vast majority of orchids require good ventilation and
excellent drainage.

Why does that preclude them growing in a terrarium?

For ventilation and beneficial air movement I use a small computer fan in
the top of the tank.

Technically you can grow anything from extremely arid plants to bog plants
in a terrarium as long as you can keep the climate to their satisfatcion.

Heck, with a sal****er aquarium chiller I bet you could keep cold weather
plants as well.