Old 03-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Henry Bubkis

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:52:52 -0700, "Henry Bubkis"
wrote:

You bet. The vast majority of orchids require good ventilation and
excellent drainage.

Why does that preclude them growing in a terrarium?

For ventilation and beneficial air movement I use a small computer fan in
the top of the tank.

Technically you can grow anything from extremely arid plants to bog plants
in a terrarium as long as you can keep the climate to their satisfatcion.

Heck, with a sal****er aquarium chiller I bet you could keep cold weather
plants as well.

Many people try the miniatures and the smaller mounts in
terrarium.

Thanks. That's what you generally strive for with any plant in a terrarium.
You look for something compact so you don't have to continually crop it or
pull it out and replace it. Unless you have an immense tank to use.

I don't see why you could not do it. Look at the
small species oncidiums, lockhartia has some smaller plants.
Hoosier has a good online catalogue of 'jewel orchids' for the
base. They may have an angraecoid that is small. Beware of
seedlings that will in a couple of years be way too big for your
growing conditions.
SuE