Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 AM
presley

tree peonies can survive and flower with quite a bit less sun than
herbaceous peonies. I have one in what I would call 1/4 daylight (probably
less than 2 hours of direct sun a day) and it has flowered beautifully with
a dozen or more enormous white and red flowers for 4 years. The site below
advises "gentle sunlight" - an area that will receive semi-shade in the
afternoon so that the flowers won't shrivel prematurely in the hot afternoon
sun. Don't be in a hurry to put it in your sunniest garden spot. It probably
won't flower in deep shade, but maybe you can leave it where it is if you
open up a window of sunlight on it by cutting out a branch from an
overhanging tree or something. However, if it is in a location where there
is too much competition from tree roots nearby, it probably won't thrive and
will have to be moved.

http://www.thegardenwindow.com/cultinstruct.html
wrote in message
oups.com...
When I moved into my house 3 years ago, I found what I believe is a
tree peony way in the back of the yard. Everything had been neglected
for so long, and this was no exception.

1st year it was a stick with a few leaves, about 2 or 3 feet tall. Last
year the top died, and it started growing from the bottom. This year,
it is like a new plant, bigger and leafier than ever. But it is in
deep, dry shade, and I have no hope that it will ever bloom or amount
to anything where it is....

I've heard they are very difficult to transplant. Anyone have any
experience with this? I have a nice sunny spot in the front yard where
I'm sure it would be happier, but I hate to kill it in the process. I'd
rather leave it where it is than kill it.

Any suggestions or advice would be welcome.
Thanks!