Old 04-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Suze

Quoting Penelope Periwinkle:
That's how much the tomato I picked yesterday weighed.
That's 1.29 pounds, for the metrically challenged. This was from a
Mortgage Lifter.

Congratulations. What other varieties are you growing ?

Yes, I know it's not like the hugest tomato ever, but with the
monsoons we've been having around here, most of my beefsteak-type
tomatoes split before they get ripe. The ones that have survived the
blight, that is.

I've been picking a little early and letting them
ripen on the counter to avoid the splitting.

Same here -- as long as they are close, I can't see that it affects
the flavor any. Also, I like to try and pick prior to watering or
before a rain.

I'm pretty darned pleased with this beauty. Or I was. It's gone now.
burp Um 'scuse me.

Lucky you -- it's too hot here for much of anything but some cherries
to set (and the odd one here and there from Arkansas Traveller).

I usually have a fairly decent Fall crop though.