Old 29-11-2002, 10:49 AM
Malcolm

Default Caterpillars are amazing!

In article ], Chris ]
writes
Caterpillars are still eating my broccoli.
I've just picked a few off and thrown them a long way away.
But I was amazed that there were any still about.
How long do they go on for?
Presumably they freeze solid eventually?

They go on until they have eaten enough for the next stage in their
life-cycle! They are having a race with the weather. Caterpillars of the
white butterflies, the ones which are eating your broccoli, go through
four moults as they grow, over a period of about 20 days (Small White)
or 30 days (Large White), and then pupate, sometimes on a plant stem, or
more usually under a ledge of stone or wood on an adjacent wall or
fence. At this time of year, pupae will over-winter and hatch out next
spring. Any caterpillars caught by frost will die, but it is quite usual
for them to survive into December if the weather stays mild.

--
Malcolm