Old 29-11-2002, 11:25 AM
Victoria Clare

Default bare-rooted hedging plants

"Karen" wrote in
:

I ordered some bare-rooted plants for a hedge, and they were
dispatched on Tuesday. Unfortunately the carrier seems to have messed
up and they have not yet arrived.

If they don't come today I am guessing the earliest is Monday. Will
they still be okay? I haven't used bare-rooted plants for many years,
so I'm not sure how long they can be out of the ground. They are a
mixture of quickthorn and blackthorn with possibly a couple of other
native species.

So dead tough, and at this time of year you can be reasonably sure they
will not have been stacked in a hot place or got completely dried out.
They won't need much light at this time of year either (no leaves).

I'd guess they will be perfectly fine, but of course take a good look when
they arrive and make sure the wood doesn't look dry and wrinkly (should be
fat and smooth), that there are healthy looking, if small, leaf buds in
place, and they have not been too badly knocked about in transit.

Victoria Clare