Old 29-11-2002, 01:40 PM
Jonathan Ward

Default Runner beans - freezing?

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:47:45 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

Yes, not worth freezing

I'm frankly amazed!

I've been freezing my excess runners for years now, and with glorious
success.

I pick them young - seven or eight inches tops - slice them into two
inch pieces and freeze them immediately.
This is done by laying them out on a tray and decanting them to bags
when frozen.
I don't blanch them.

Maybe the trick is to freeze them as soon as possible after
harvesting...they have a tendency to wilt within a few hours.

As regards cooking, they're steamed from frozen.. about 10-12 mins.

Perhaps the variety is critical - I've stuck with Red Rum for some
years now... always very reliable with a delicate flavour and a
pleasing texture, and none of the waterlogging that some beans are
inclined towards.

Regard,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

I grow climbing french beans instead, as well ordinary ones. They don't go
tough like runner beans and to my mind have a better taste and freeze well.
--
Jonathan Ward
Remove the 'X' when replying