Old 29-11-2002, 01:43 PM
Druss

Default Runner beans - freezing?

"John" wrote in message
Following up on a thread from earlier in the year.

I grew runner beans this year - they were absolutely wonderful - lived on
them for months. However I tried to freeze the excess, followed the advice
given in the earlier thread and *didn't* blanche them before freezing.

They
are *horrible* - tough, bad flavour etc. - even after cooking for *much*
longer than the fresh ones !! They're all about to be thrown out :-(

I'm wondering what went wrong? Advice given by amongst others was from

Alan
Gould (I think Alan knows what he's talking about grin). Could it have
been the variety? ("Best of all" - or something like that - I've lost the
packet). Did I misunderstand something the freezing process?

Ideas anyone?

TIA.
--
Regards,

John.

I too am amazed, any beans suitable for eating, younger is better simply
because they tend to be softer and sweeter, but any you'd eat freeze just
fine.

All we do is bring some salty water to the boil, drop in beans for about a
minute, pull them out, run them under cold water and then when cool stick
them in plastic bags and freeze them. They always come out of the freezer as
fresh and tasty as they went in.

Duncan