Old 04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Henry Bubkis

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Henry Bubkis wrote:
"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...

Henry Bubkis wrote:
Has anyone done this before?

I'm inheriting a large fishtank that I want to turn into a terrarium
and
would like to combine some of my tropical pitcher plants as well as
other
tropical plants and african violets with the orchids in a natural
setting
terrarium.

Are there any problems ....

You bet. The vast majority of orchids require good ventilation and
excellent drainage.

Why does that preclude them growing in a terrarium?

For ventilation and beneficial air movement I use a small computer fan in
the top of the tank.

Why didn't you mention that in the first place?

Why the need? Anyone that actually has experience with what I originally
asked for would know or just know to ask.

Technically you can grow anything from extremely arid plants to bog
plants
in a terrarium as long as you can keep the climate to their satisfatcion.

So you were looking for affirmation, not advice.

First thing is, if you haven't kept numerous tropical plants in a terrarium
or vivarium, why did you bother to respond?

Second thing, I'm looking for intermediate to expert advice. I'm a begginer
and have experimented up to a point with this subject and now I'm ready to
combine different plants in a large terrarium. I have grown bromeliads, I
have grown orchids, I have grown carniverous plants, and have set up simple
terrariums/aquariums/vivariums/paludariums. Now I need advice on something
more complex and whether anyone has ever grown the two together and what
problems or solutions they have experienced. I didn't want affirmation. I
was correcting you.

If you can't help me don't bother replying.