Old 04-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Barbara

I would like to thank all of you who took the time to answer.

Barbara

"Hal" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:40:22 -0400, "Barbara"
wrote:

Hello all! I have been enjoying my new pond until I saw a drowned sparrow
in it. I think he tried to land on my water lettuce. How do you deal
with
this? I was thinking of placing chicken wire under the plants

Bird droppings are not a good thing in ponds so I try to discourage
their use of the fish pond by keeping a yard fountain filled for them.

I wouldn't build something to make using my fish pond more convenient
for birds and I doubt a healthy bird accidentally drowned because it
had nothing to support it's body above the water. My first thought is
a mosquito born virus or something similar and a weak bird. It may
be unusual to find a dead bird in a pond, but I find them other
places, so why not in a pond?

Regards,

Hal