Old 04-08-2005, 04:37 PM
June Hughes

In message , peterlsutton
writes
I have just bought some water absorbant crystals to mix with compost in
pots - but would like to play with them. 1) What are they chemically
speaking. 2) Are they the same as the transparent media I have seen for
growing cuttings. 3) Can you grow cuttings in them and do you need to add
any feed. 4) How do you mix them with water to give a totally transparent
media. My first attempt left a lot air bubbles and air sheets that make it
almost opaque. Though I have got better since. 5) Can you buy small
transparent containers to put the gel and cuttings in. At the moment I have
used my smallest glasses. and 6) any tips on recovering and cleaning the
gel afterwards to use again.

I fancy doing a little experimentation with different types of cuttings at
different times and different temperatures, where you can directly observe
what is going on. Any advice would be very welcome.

I bought some several years ago in Enfield and used one packet to put
cut flowers in. I also planted some herb cuttings with varying success.
I shall look for the leaflet that came with them.
--
June Hughes