Old 04-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:
| The message
| from "Hazel" contains these words:
|
| To grow them, with a single trunk I assume all the side shoots
have to be
| removed, is this needed for the life of the plant ?
|
| It would be, yes. Standard-trunk hazels would also constantly produce
| suckers from below ground, which would have to be removed.

Usually, but not always. An established hazel in a wood with a
fairly solid canopy doesn't sucker all that much, and most suckers
die off. Even my hazels (in the 'open') don't ALL sucker.

I've never seen one that doesn't grow as a multi-stemmed tree/shrub
eventually, especially in a woodland environment - and yes, I've been
involved with woodland management since 1956, and I still am.

| I'm wondering if what you saw were alders, far more likely to be grown
| in a plantation of single trunk trees. Young alders look fairly similar
| to hazel in bark and leaf.

If they were ALL single-stemmed, that seems likely. If only SOME
were, they could still be hazels.

But managed. Then the question is, what the hell for?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/