Old 04-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Chris Hogg

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:10:58 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

How would YOU deal with ants which have nested in a pot containing a
tree?
My solution in the past was to stand the pot in a large bucket of
water, so the pot was completely submerged, and drive out the ants,
and pour the water off when they came to the surface.
A friend has ants in a huge pot containing a fast growing willow!
She has nothing big enough to submerge the pot in, and anyway the pot
is too heavy to lift.
She does not like using chemicals.
Any advice for my friend please? Nothing strenuous as she has ME.

My only other solution in the past was to unpot the tree, wash the
roots clean, and repot in fresh soil, but she would need help to do
that and it's a bit drastic this time of year.
TIA

Pam in Bristol

My recipe FWIW:

2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon borax
hot water to make a thin syrup (probably about a tablespoon)
stir until all dissolved

Place in a small pot-saucer or shallow dish near the ants nest, and
cover with an earthenware flowerpot to keep other interested parties
away (a plastic one would do, but needs weighting)

Contains at least three chemicals, all natural products and including
one of which is harmful to ants at least.

--
Chris