Old 29-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Peter Charles Fagg

Default Runner beans - freezing?

I'm frankly amazed!

I've been freezing my excess runners for years now, and with glorious
success.

I pick them young - seven or eight inches tops - slice them into two
inch pieces and freeze them immediately.
This is done by laying them out on a tray and decanting them to bags
when frozen.
I don't blanch them.

Maybe the trick is to freeze them as soon as possible after
harvesting...they have a tendency to wilt within a few hours.

As regards cooking, they're steamed from frozen.. about 10-12 mins.

Perhaps the variety is critical - I've stuck with Red Rum for some
years now... always very reliable with a delicate flavour and a
pleasing texture, and none of the waterlogging that some beans are
inclined towards.

I too am amazed, in my household we have frozen "Enorma" for more
years than I care to remember in the exact same method. They are
picked on my allotment and within a couple of hours are in the
freezer. Sometimes there are a few that are overly long and ripe but
that is a minor problem. Regards Peter Charles Fagg, Isle of Wight.