Old 04-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Hazel wrote:

And Mike. the article actually was about English truffles saying the truffle
grows in hazel woods, with a pic of such

Now, THAT'S nuts!

There is an extremely interesting truffle museum in the Dordogne,
but I now forget where, and we spent a long time in it. It helps
to read French, though the main displays have translations into
English. Anyway, it described the ecology needed for truffles.

Basically, we don't have a hope. There are truffle species that
grow in the UK, and Tuber melanosporum (the black truffle) is JUST
about marginal here, but it really needs a medium shallow soil
over chalk that gets a good warm summer. Well, we have very
shallow soils over chalk, but not many medium shallow ones, and we
rarely get good warm summers.

Sorry, but ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.