Old 04-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Kay

In article , Hazel
writes

Hazel wrote:
[...]
I agree that the question is, what the hell for?

Well, managed for their nuts would you believe.

Interesting. My understanding is that the conventional way is to keep
them as open-centred shrubs if you want nuts. I've never done it
myself, though. Was there accompanying text explaining what they were
doing?

What advantage there is I dont know Kay, though guess's give for the animals
that would be under them, as in the difference of pollarding over copiceing,
that the multiple stem needs more manageing at its base, or perhaps for
vehicle access ?

I would have thought that the single stem would need a lot more managing
as the natural habit is for multiple stems.

No point in doing it to avoid animal damage as not a lot eats hazel
leaves, and squirrels would not be deterred but the tree form.

What vehicle would need access?

And Mike. the article actually was about English truffles saying the truffle
grows in hazel woods, with a pic of such

Could it be that the pic wasn't actually hazel? Magazines aren't always
totally accurate
--
Kay