Old 04-08-2005, 10:51 PM
Tumbleweed

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 19:52:37 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 18:17:38 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

My recipe FWIW:

2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon borax
hot water to make a thin syrup (probably about a tablespoon)
stir until all dissolved

Place in a small pot-saucer or shallow dish near the ants nest, and
cover with an earthenware flowerpot to keep other interested parties
away (a plastic one would do, but needs weighting)

Contains at least three chemicals, all natural products and including
one of which is harmful to ants at least.

That's very helpful. Thank you Chris.
Where do you buy borax?
Last time I tried to buy borax (I think for some cleaning process
recommended on How Clean is your House!) I could not get it. Tried our
local Handyman shop, they sent me to Boots, Boots told me to try the
Handyman's etc. I never did get it.

Pam in Bristol

We have an old packet, bought a few years ago at Boots (it says Boots
Domestic Borax on the packet) but when I said 'harmful to ants at
least' I had a vague recollection that our lords and masters had
decided that borax was the most lethal poison on earth and decreed
that it should be withdrawn from sale, or similar. It seems my
recollection might have been correct.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Nippon was a sugar and borax
syrup, sold at extortionate prices.

I happen to have a tube of 'nippon ant killer liquid' in front of me as I
type.
Its about 2 years old and still has a price label on it ...£1.20. Not
exactly extortionate especially considering the instructions refer to using
drops of it.

On the front it says 'contains 5.5% Borax' (thats the only reference to
ingredients)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com