Old 04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message

But managed. Then the question is, what the hell for?

As I say, not necessarily. If most of them were single-stemmed,
I would assume that they were planted from a clone that tends not
to sucker. I am sure that someone has selected such a clone in
the past, given natural variation and human, er, deviance.

I've got a one-year-old hazel in a pot (thanks, Mr. Squirrel!) and
that's throwing up a sucker alreadt.

Yes, I'm sure it is possible to select for non-suckering, but I really
can't think why anyone would want to. The nuts would be more difficult
to pick, and the other useful attribute of hazel, long straight rods, is
lost.

thinks

Wych Hazel, perhaps?

/thinks