Old 05-08-2005, 06:20 AM
Mr. Zee

That's why I haven't tried the CO2 approach yet, and I work as a chemist!
I know Seachem's Excel is more expensive, but I'd rather just pour one or
two capfuls in my tank every other day then mess with pipes and valves and
pressure and cylinders and pH and bubble counters etc.... I guess once you
get the hang of it it works but I haven't made the jump yet...Thanks for
listening.

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
Dan wrote:
To the group:
I have just set up a new CO2 system in my tank. There were absolutely no
directions with the setup I ordered so I winged it and hope it works.
Here is what I have: a 5 lb. cylinder of CO2; a 200 reactor, a SMS 122 ph
controller, a bubble counter which is attached in line with the
regulator. My ph was 8.4 and is now at 7.6 and hopefully dropping to the
recommended setting of 7.0. My water KH is 8 degrees. I have no idea
how much CO2 is entering the tank and have no idea how it is measured.
Do you count the total amount of bubbles in the bubble counter per
minute? I have NO idea.

I also have the CO2 solenoid plugged into a timer which shuts off the
solenoid at about 8:00 p.m. and then turns on again at 7:00 a.m. Is that
right how it is hooked up and is the timer set about right? Plants are
arriving tomorrow.

Can the group please advise whether or not I am on the right track and
have hooked this system up correctly?

Dan

YOu really need to look at Chuck Gadd's co2 calculation table to see how
much you have now. Take a look:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Once done there, you can do some reading on my web site, which may answer
some of your questions.

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...Pressure%20CO2

Good luck.

Bob