Old 05-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Logic316

Default Metal weights around plants - toxic?

Hi folks.
Whenever I buy freshwater plants from the fish store, they're weighted
down with some sort of a soft, heavy, and corrosion-resistant metal band
wrapped around the base of their stems, which I think may be lead. I
kind of worry about using these in my fish tank so I've always removed
them, but that makes them a bit of a pain to keep down in the gravel.
Are these weights safe for fish, or does lead leech out of them and
possibly become toxic for them?

- Logic316

"The most terrifying words in the English language a I'm from the
government and I'm here to help."
-- Ronald Reagan