Old 05-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Kay

In article , jewels
writes

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
FF wrote:
snip

the only reason I can think of why the T-bags didn't
break up is moisture levels were too low, I have an 'open' heap and the
elements help to break everything down nicely.

My compost 'bin' is made up of wooden pallets and I put an old carpet over
the top but the last time I looked, everything looked very dry in there, I
added some water but reading your post made me wonder....would I be better
off lifting off the old carpet and just leaving it to the elements?

The purpose of covering is to stop the top layer drying out too much. If
yours is too dry, it would certainly be worth keeping it uncovered any
time you expect rain, and cover it only when the conditions are likely
to make it dry out.

I keep mine uncovered all the time. My bin is solid wood - you probably
lose more moisture through the sides than I do.
--
Kay