Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

I've got a one-year-old hazel in a pot (thanks, Mr. Squirrel!) and
that's throwing up a sucker alreadt.

Yup. That is also well within natural variation. I am not disagreeing
that hazel's normal form is as a clear shrub, and even when it grows
as a canopy tree (in another sense) is almost always multi-stemmed.

Yes, I'm sure it is possible to select for non-suckering, but I really
can't think why anyone would want to. The nuts would be more difficult
to pick, and the other useful attribute of hazel, long straight rods, is
lost.

thinks
Wych Hazel, perhaps?
/thinks

Nuts :-)

Witch's broom handle, perhaps :-)

It is quite possible that this is another of the clones of useful
plants that were propagated by their users, rather than London-based
horticulturalists (who did the writing). Berberis vulgaris "asperma"
seems to be another, where I have one and the national collection
doesn't - but where mine is probably NOT the clone described in
Bean!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.