Old 05-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Sue Begg

In message , Kay
writes
In article , jewels
writes

"pammyT" fenlandfowl @talktalk.net wrote in message

-- "jewels" wrote in message
I keep chickens and use their spent bedding to add to compost heap. I
have
an infestation of red mite in the henhouse at the moment so they are
present
in the chicken droppings/straw bedding mixture.

Is it safe to add this manure to the compost heap? I guess the compost
heap
gets quite hot but red mite like the warmth.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Burn the little barstewards.

purebred poultry

I'm gonna get'em, they don't know it yet but I'll get'em!

Seems a shame if the droppings etc are no good for the compost heap

I've no idea what these things are, but what is the problem of
composting them? If they are a problem for chickens, then are they
likely to be a problem for plants? Or is the problem that composting
them and then spreading them around the garden will mean that you will
maintain the infestation in the chickens?

I think they need to find the chickens at night to feed - they live on
blood if I remember rightly.
Spread the compost far enough around the garden and they will exhaust
themselves trying to walk home for supper :-))
--
Sue
Remove the puppies to reply